Today's date is:
HOME   |    ADVERTISE    |    CONTACT US   |    FAQ
MENU

President Buhari urges investors to collaborate with FG on sports development
• Receives National Sports Festival Torch of Unity

2nd Feb, 2020 | By Victoria Agorom and Egwame Rachael Otse | ||

President Muhammadu Buhari has called on private sector operators to team up with government to promote the development of youth and sports in the country. He gave the admonition at the State House, Abuja, last week where he received the 'Torch of Unity' to kick off its movement across Nigeria as a prelude to the National Sports Festival billed for March this year in Benin City, the Edo State capital.

The President said his administration would continue to provide an enabling environment for sports to thrive. President Buhari said: ''I am pleased to receive the National Sports Festival 'Torch of Unity'. It is a symbolic representation of the unity, peace and solidarity amongst Nigerians, especially the athletes and officials in the 36 States of the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory. ''Since the inception of the National Sport festival in 1993, the Games have been a useful avenue for interaction, integration of our youth, sportsmen and women and a platform for States to showcase their best in sports.''

President Buhari stated that it was due to this fact that the Federal Government (FG) intervened to host the last edition of the Games in the FCT ''to salvage the sports fiesta from permanent closure.'' He commended the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports, led by the Minister Sunday Dare, for the doggedness in ensuring it continually followed its mandate of keeping the Nigeria youth busy. Speaking earlier on, Dare expressed joy that the President was personally involved in the activity leading up to the Games. '' I am particularly joyous that this landmark event in our strategic plan for the Festival is being undertaken by Mr. President himself. This act is a testimony of the importance the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari attaches to youth and sports development in the country,'' he stated.

Arsenal teen Folarin, not Saka, is the player England do not want to lose to Nigeria Bukayo Saka is for now the most illustrious Nigerian at English Premier League side Arsenal owing to the fact that he has stamped his authority as a full squad member of the first team. According to Nigeria's leading soccer news site, owngoalnigeria.com, Saka has impressed from a makeshift role as left-back in the last couple of games for Arsenal and that has led to talk about Nigeria bracing themselves for diaogue with the 18-year-old about switching allegiance to Nigeria from England, where he is a youth international.

Still eligible for Nigeria, Saka might be the one stealing the attention but England are more concerned about another 18-year-old, the relatively unknown Folarin Balogun who has impressed for the U23s of Arsenal this season. Already he has lined up for a loan move to a Championship side in order for him to experience first team football but that move is a temporary one ahead of breaking into the first team of Arsenal next season.

Last year coach of the Nigeria U20 team Paul Aigbogun tried to get in contact with the forward after watching him in a game for the Arsenal youth team but the forward backed out of the idea as he wants to focus on playing for England. England, on the other hand, were quick to meet with the forward and his parents where they assured him that they have him in their plans for the future urging him to snub all overtures from Nigeria. While they are yet to have talks with Saka, it is clear to see that Folarin who is not a first team player at Arsenal yet is their priority for now and that leaves Nigeria with the chance to push for a move for Saka.

News Update

Minister of State, FCT, Dr. Ramatu Tijjani Aliyu, made the revelation during flag- off of the first round of 2020 National Immunization Plus Days (NIPDs) at Dutse Makaranta, Bwari Area Council, last week.

Country Director of Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA), Mr. Woochan Chang has said the Nigeria-Korea Model School, Abuja should expand its admission quota to include children from poor and vulnerable.

Chairman, FCTA Traffic Management Team, Comrade Ikharo Attah who led the exercise explained that the removal of the illegal structures became necessary due to complaints from contractors handling the road expansion

Director, FHIS, Dr. Ahmed Danfulani, who broke news of the enrolment exclusively to Abuja Digest Weekly, disclosed further that the retirees have filled the required forms and obtained approval from the agency.


WE BELIEVE THAT:






Widget is loading comments...
Sport

Team FCT dusts all to zoom into National Sports Festival
Read More »
Bello, Aliyu receive Unity Torch, assure on priority ...
Read More »
Edo 2020: FCT athletes promise harvest of medals
Read More »
Only one team can stop Liverpool matching ...
Read More »
Copyright 2014© Abuja Digest Magazine|POWERED BY RIMAKE SOLUTION SYSTEMS LTD