FCT AUTHORITIES RESEAL DIVINE HOPE ORPHANAGE IN KUBWA AMID ONGOING CHILD TRAFFICKING PROBE

Divine hope orphanage

By: Kemi Adeyemi

The Federal Capital Territory Administration has intensified its crackdown on illegal child movement and unauthorised children’s homes with the resealing of Divine Hope Orphanage and Less Privileged Home in Kagini, along the Kubwa Road, Abuja.

The facility was resealed on Wednesday by the FCT Women Affairs Secretariat in collaboration with the FCT Police Command after it was discovered to have resumed operations without official authorisation, months after it was first sealed in January 2026.

The operation was carried out by the Child Development Department of the FCT Women Affairs Secretariat.

Speaking on the development, the Permanent Secretary, Hajia Asmau Muktar Esq., expressed deep dismay at the conduct of the orphanage’s proprietor and declared that unscrupulous persons would find no hiding place under the administration of FCT Minister, Barrister Nyesom Wike.

“The orphanage is operating illegally as it has been sealed since January,” she stated. She commended the Police and members of the public who alerted the authorities to the unwholesome activities taking place at the home.

Hajia Muktar emphasised the administration’s firm stance on child protection, saying: “The wellbeing of every Nigerian child will not be compromised. They are our future and everyone should partner with government to ensure they are safe and healthy.”

She therefore called on members of the public to provide relevant information to security agencies or the Child Development Department whenever they suspect illegal movement, trafficking or unauthorised admission of children into homes and orphanages.

Also, Director, Child Development Department, (WAS) Dr. Idris Yahaya Attah, reiterated that the home was initially sealed on January 6 following information received from the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) concerning the movement of children from Benue State into the FCT, including the case of four siblings taken from Ado in Nasarawa State who were subsequently recovered and reunited with their biological parents.

According to him, the children were admitted into the home without the required referral from the Child Development Department, the department mandated to regulate and coordinate the welfare and protection of children in the FCT.

“After sealing the home, we kept monitoring the case. on Sunday, we got information that the home was operational again without official approval,” Attah said.

He explained that the Permanent Secretary subsequently directed the department to take immediate action, leading to the resealing operation involving officials of the Secretariat, the FCT Police Command, the media and a civil defence officer attached to the Secretariat.

Attah reiterated the FCT Administration’s zero-tolerance policy towards child trafficking and the unauthorised movement of children.

“In the FCT, under the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, we have zero tolerance for child trafficking,” he declared.

Attah, identified Anderson Archibong, said to be the Executive Secretary of the National Council of Child Rights Advocates of Nigeria, as a person wanted in connection with the investigation.

The Director stressed that no approval had been granted for the reopening of Divine Hope Orphanage and that efforts were ongoing to locate and recover the remaining children.

While acknowledging the proprietress’ claims of personal hardship following the death of her husband, Dr. Attah maintained that operating a children’s home and facilitating interstate transfers of children are highly regulated activities that must comply with FCT laws and guidelines.

The proprietress of the home, Mrs. Grace Ebele Chibuzor when confronted, admitted that 69 children had been brought from Benue State through one Anderson Archibong. She said Archibong presented a document which he claimed had been endorsed by social welfare officials in Makurdi, leading her to believe that the movement of the children had official backing.

Chibuzor, however, acknowledged that she did not obtain permission from the FCT Women Affairs Secretariat to reopen the facility or admit the children.

“I did not get permission but I pleaded before… I don’t have any place to take my children,” she said.

She claimed that she was unaware that formal referral letters from the Child Development Department were required, adding that her late husband had previously managed the home and that she had relied on Archibong’s advice.

According to her, about 14 of the children had since been returned, while NAPTIP commands in both the FCT and Benue were handling the cases involving the remaining children.

When questioned about allegations of collecting money in connection with the placement of children, Chibuzor described the arrangement as “placement” rather than adoption. She said people contributed whatever they could, including food items for other children at the home.

She maintained that she had no formal government mandate to foster or place children with individuals.