By: Gyang Dakwo
The clock is ticking for Cristiano Ronaldo. Despite being on the hunt for a new club for almost the entire summer, the Portuguese is struggling to leave Manchester United.
As the summer transfer deadline day arrives, Ronaldo’s agent Jorge Mendes has reportedly re-opened talks with Chelsea over a potential transfer.
With Romelu Lukaku and Timo Werner gone, Chelsea has been looking to sign a new attacker this summer. Mendes had offered Ronaldo to the Blues earlier in the summer but Thomas Tuchel turned down the approach despite the new Chelsea owner, Todd Boehly, reportedly being interested.
It was reported that Tuchel and the former Manchester United manager Ralf Rangnick had a chat over Ronaldo’s potential arrival at Stamford Bridge but Rangnick’s feedback of the 37-year-old striker wasn’t the most positive one. Tuchel, who himself also had his apprehensions over signing Ronaldo, decided against making the move.
Over the last few weeks, Chelsea approached Barcelona striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang over a transfer but Aubameyang is reportedly unwilling to pen a 1-year contract, which is being offered by the Blues and wants a longer deal.
Amid this situation, Ronaldo’s agent Mendes has reportedly gotten in touch in touch with Chelsea again, asking if the former Real Madrid man could be an alternative to Aubameyang. No decision, however, has been made yet.
Manchester United manager Erik Ten Hag was also asked about the 5-time Ballon d’Or winner’s future but the Dutchman refused to confirm if Ronaldo will stay at the club.
“I can’t say that,” he said. “We plan with him. We stick to the plan. We want him to stay. That is what I want.”
Pressed on whether Ronaldo will still be a United player come Friday morning, Ten Hag said: “I hope so.”
Ronaldo’s agent Mendes is also reportedly in talks with Napoli and Sporting over the player’s transfer.